Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Writing Journey of Linda Imbler

0

The Writing Journey of Linda Imbler




I was introduced to poetry by teachers when I was very young.  As a young girl, I used to write poetry about what I observed in nature. Back then, everything had to rhyme. I made my own poetry books from paper, cardboard, and shiny wrapping paper.  

 

I do not remember my first poem.  I am sure it was about a bird, tree, or a flower. I was 9 years old and the memory of the content has faded, but not the sensation of the accomplishment.  I remember I read it to my mother and my brother.  I honestly cannot remember their reactions, other than whatever they said or however they responded did not deter me from continuing to write more poems later in life.

 

As I went into my teens, I began to hear poetry through music lyrics. This is when I began to jot images and thoughts in response to what was happening around me. This influence was huge, and this visceral response to life still continues to be the impetus for much of my poetry. I have been influenced by the lyrics of those whom I consider to be some of the greatest songwriters ever:  Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam),  Joni Mitchell, George Harrison, John Denver, Jim Croce, Paul Simon, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willie Nelson, Robert Plant, Sam Cooke, James Taylor, Willie Dixon, Bernie Taupin, Al Green, David Bowie, Dolly Parton, Woody Guthrie, Lou Reed, Kate Bush, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Bob Marley, and Stevie Wonder.

 

At this stage mentioned above, rhyme still was important to me.  Once I discovered free verse as an adult, all restraints were off and an entire new world of poetry opened up to me.  I realized that lyric and narrative were both legitimate forms of poetry.

 

Today, I understand writing not only as a craft, but as an art. It is said that art is courageously baring your soul to the entire world through whichever medium suits your strengths.  It is baring one’s soul or exposing one’s current state of mind or most vivid memories. In this regard, my poetic art is my way to make sense of the world and to organize memories.  It helps me from feeling transitory. In some instances, writing allows me to memorialize some person, a thing, or some event. It doesn’t hurt to mention that it’s a terrific way to exorcise personal demons.  If I wish to be truly creative, writing also lets me see things from another’s point of view. In several instances, I have practiced writing from a different point of view, and the results were quite astonishing.

 

I do the majority of my writing in the dead of night, because I am a hopeless insomniac. So the days are mostly set aside for editing, submissions, and rewrites.

 

I have a several stage process from start to finish. I keep a recorder on my nightstand and record images and lines as I dream them, or as they tickle my brain while I am lying in bed.  On nights when I’m sure sleep has eluded me, I tend to dig through my box of thoughts and see if anything clicks.  Or, if I am in daylight, I grab a notebook and proceed to write down the ideas and add those to the box. I have written things down in restaurants.  I have pulled out my phone and asked Siri to open voice memo in stores, parks, and concert halls so that I could not lose a phrase or an idea for a poem, or even a title.  The process of stringing phrases together and fleshing out the piece can take days or weeks.  I can walk away from a piece and then go back to see if the ideas are working or not.  In some cases, I have taken a poem in a completely different direction from where I thought it was going, especially if I am re-reading it and thinking, ‘what in the heck is this dribble?’  Once I’m satisfied with it, I then take my work to my computer and dictate the poems to see if they sound right.  As much as I care how my poems look, I care as much how they sound.  My poems are meant to be read, but they are also meant to be spoken, and meant to be heard. So, I make revisions at this stage also.

I work on each poem until I feel I have said what I want to say in the way I want to say it.  Only then do I submit it.

I wish to thank Literary Garland for offering me the opportunity to share my journey toward becoming a published writer.

 

 


No comments: